Friday, November 14, 2014

returning the favour


via pinterest


This time last year I had quite a bad car accident. Considering that the car landed on its roof I was actually very lucky to be able to get out (with the help of very kind passers-by) and to walk away without any serious injuries. I still am a much more nervous driver, and I have noticed that since I've stopped driving to work in the last few months I feel even less confident when I do come to go somewhere in my car. I haven't stopped driving though and hope that in time confidence will return.

The only real injury I had, bar some pretty big bruises, was some ongoing pain in my knee. It is only through that kind of physical trauma that you truly appreciate what an incredible thing your own body is. To withstand being thrown upside down and ricocheted around (thank goodness for seat belts or it could have been much worse), to not break and to gradually heal is pretty astounding. A colleague has recently had an injury and she said something that really resonated with me. Through her efforts to exercise, to rehabilitate, she realised just how strong and powerful her body is. Having spent years seeing flaws and feeling weak or less than perfect it has taken an injury to make her realise how grateful she is for the body she has always had.


via pinterest



Although I was astounded at how little damage my body had incurred, I can't honestly say I have been as respectful of mine as she has been of hers. I too easily saw the niggling pain in my knee as an excuse not to exercise. My body has suffered more, albeit minor assaults, in the last year. A slip out of the shower has worsened the pain in my knee, although a scan showed damage, it was not enough to warrant surgery. And so the excuses increased. 

A trip on the pavement on the way to work, a fall off a chair (perfect comedy moment), and my body has been feeling increasingly clumsy and uncoordinated. Not to mention that along with the lack of activity I seem to have foregone health in all aspects of life. Too much pre-packaged food, too much sugar, too many takeaways. For all the good my body did me when I needed it I feel like I am letting it down, and it's showing. 

This isn't about feeling thin, although I absolutely need to lose weight. It's about feeling strong and healthy. It's about recognising that whilst the human body is an incredible thing, I am not giving mine the best possible chance. It's also about feeling my age, and not spending weekends, sitting on the sofa, eating rubbish and wondering why I don't have the energy to do anything other than work. It's about recovering once and for all from the niggling pains that I have had over the last twelve months, getting my body moving and enjoying it. It's also about eating better, more fruit and vegetables, more natural ingredients, less nipping to the shop for lunch because I didn't bother to make any, or bother to eat a proper breakfast either.

I realise this is perhaps the worst time of year to be starting this, filled as it is with parties and treats and goodies. But more persuasive is the idea of travelling around Australia and not feeling like I'm holding back The Husband because I can't keep up, not feeling uncomfortable in the heat because clothes don't fit properly, and not spending the whole trip eating rubbish because I still haven't broken the sugar habit.


via meetville


I'm hopeful that being open about this on here will hold me more accountable. That having this written out to be able to return to will be a good starting point. I've also realised that just as the internet, and technology in general, can be a great thief of time and cause of inactivity, it can also be a great resource for inspiration, which I intend to start putting to good use. Today seems like a good day to commit to being healthier, and to look after the body that has looked after me.


via wordsonimages

6 comments:

  1. Katie, a great commitment to make and wishing you the very best of luck with your healthy eating and exercise regime. I have recently had very similar thoughts, and have been taking action on weight and fitness issues, feeling a while lot better for both. It's amazing how quickly your body responds to a little TLC. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for commenting, and glad to hear you are feeling better! Here's hoping I stick to the commitment. x

      Delete
  2. Good for you. There's no time like today to start, and small changes are the best way. And yes, I always think it takes a health scare or accident for us to truly appreciate how precious a strong body and good health is. Never to be taken for granted. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for visiting Gillian, lovely to have a comment from you. I hope you are well. Small steps are definitely better than staying in the same place! x

      Delete
  3. wise thoughts xxx glad you were ok xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for commenting Tess - here's to keeping it up into the New Year! x

      Delete