Tuesday, March 17, 2015

adventures before thirty

(Taken from the title of a novel by Algernon Blackwood. Originally published in 1923, when it was called Episodes Before Thirty, I bought a copy for The Husband, who collects old books, as a 29th birthday present.)

As I mentioned, I don't really worry about aging or growing older. However I have been thinking in recent weeks that my next birthday is quite a significant one, and talking with friends in particular has caused me to reflect a little more on the year ahead. I have a very close friend from university, and we were born within a week of each other. Last September marked ten years of our friendship (we met on the first day, in our halls of residence, and unlike so many of those freshers' week friendships this one has absolutely stood the test of time). In the run up to our birthdays we reminisced about previous milestones, the end of our teenage years, turning 21, and laughed at how distant thirty had seemed all that time ago.




I am still feeling very positive about the years ahead, and very happy with my life as it stands, never having been one to have a 'life plan' or certain goals with achieve-by dates. As another close friend  said to me, on reflection she feels at a good stage in her life. We are both married, own our homes, have stable jobs and while I don't view any of those things as being more or less successful than the alternatives, for me (and my risk-averse, homebody personality) I found that what she said resonated. Actually I can reflect on my life, and feel content with the big stuff like home, work, and of course my relationships with family and friends. Things feel well suited to me and that is a fortunate position to be in.

Perhaps influenced by the world of blogging, and the wider Internet, and the obsession of these mediums with lists of evey kind, I have been mulling over the idea of drawing up a thirty things to do before I'm thirty list. I noticed many people do similar lists around New Year and I have been increasingly tempted. Today is, genuinely just by chance when I checked half an hour ago, 330 days until my 30th birthday, which spurred me on to write this burgeoning post today. However, never being one to rush a decision (see above - risk-averse  homebody) I actually plan to commit to a list in a months time, so it will be 30 things in 300 days. In the meantime, it's over to you - what would you put on my list?

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely plan. what to put on your list? well it probably out to have some serious thoughtful options, but I'm tempted to say add all fun stuff, like have a midnight picnic and host a competition to build the tallest tower out of marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tess, some great ideas, and will definitely make sure it is a fun list!

      Delete
  2. Wow 30. That is 16 years ago for me, so I am old! It is so nice to hear that you are happy with life, that is indeed a very good thing. Not sure what I would add to your list but I look forward to reading it. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are not old!! I'm mulling each day with the list it is a fun thing to think of on the commute or as I drift off to sleep. Hope you have good weekend too xx

      Delete