Friday, April 17, 2015

word of the week #16



We went to Brussels without a guidebook, figuring that having been before we wouldn't need to buy one. We were wrong. Turns out that for us, part of the holiday is in reading about the places we are visiting, finding out some history, and also that we tend to need the maps and phrase books! So it was that we managed to find a Waterstones in Brussels, and spent a happy half hour sat on a windowseat flicking through guidebooks and picking one to purchase for our weekend. 

While we were there, we spotted the Little Black Classics range that Penguin have just brought out, and had a bit of a spur of the moment idea that we would love to buy the set of 80 books for in our study. They are little pocket sized books, from a whole range of authors. When we got back to the hotel we found them for half price on the Telegraph book shop - they are still on offer but not half price now. So on a whim we ordered them, they arrived this week, and other than the dodgy delivery in which they were left on our drive in the rain (thank goodness for lovely neighbours who know us, know my parents, and let them know so they could bring them inside) they are fabulous.

 It's like a little pick and mix, and they are the perfect size for commuting. Seeing them on the shelf makes me smile every time. The only trouble is, I found out about all the other sets Penguin have done over the years, including this recent set which I have entirely fallen in love with. They seem to be in America, and at $22 each rather than 80p, I won't be buying the full 26-book set any time soon, though it is rather tempting in view of number 6 on my recent list!

Linking in with Jocelyn's #WOTW project

8 comments:

  1. Wow, both those book sets are beautiful... so tempting. But no, I must be good. I have way too many unread books on my shelves as it is. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have plenty to read as it is! thank you for visiting :)

      Delete
  2. Would love the Little Black Classics! Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karen, and thank you for visiting! x

      Delete
  3. Ah, I want them all! They do look beautiful, and how lovely to have the set to dip in and out of :) Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting and for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  4. I do live a book set. The 'drop ca' set on your link look amazing! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so cheerful aren't they! hope you are well Penny x

      Delete