Tuesday, April 28, 2015

you made me feel like the one

(Dakota - Stereophonics)

I got back from London tonight, met at the train station by The Husband and Millie, who was looking very happy see me bouncing around the front seat of the car. It is nice to be home, I got work done on the train, which I don't normally manage, and after a quiet hour catching up with blogs I am planning a run (after a few days break - wish me luck) and a few bits and bobs of jobs, mainly sorting out the recycling. Not the most glamorous of tasks, but I quite enjoy ten minutes of organising things into the containers, it feels quite nicely productive, and there's obviously that slight smugness that comes from having done something that feels environmentally friendly!




As I ate some dinner, The Husband kindly undertook the serious work of removing Millie's hair from my coat after her over-zealous cuddles in the car (thank goodness for our sticky roller gadget - bought when I was completely and unusually won over by one of those bizarre product demonstrations in the middle of a supermarket shop). I spotted this article about this collection of pictures by an artist called Puuung, entitled Love is in the Small Things. I don't want to reproduce them here, as they are obviously original work, but do go and look at them. To me they perfectly captured all those small moments that make up a loving relationship, sitting watching a film, having a silly dance around the kitchen, singing along to a song in unison (if not in tune), sharing the little things. The Husband handed me a cup of tea and we looked through them together, and I felt happy to be home, and lucky to be loved in all of the small ways.


UPDATE: lest I start to present an image on this blog that is verging on blissful domesticity please note the following - shortly after writing this I went to do the aforementioned recycling only to find one of the multiple containers required was missing. Undeterred, I took the proactive approach and went to request a new one on the local council website. At exactly the moment I realised, with much frustration, that the one webpage I needed was inexplicably unavailable, Millie took it upon herself to, without warning, wee on the floor (a habit we thought she had long ago left behind but has made a recurrence more than once in recent weeks). To add insult to injury she targeted not only the floor and the nearby blanket but also the charger for The Husband's laptop which promptly short circuited and tripped all of the fuses for the entire house. The blanket is in the wash, the floor is cleaned, the electricity is back on, the clocks have been reset and I am most proud of the fact that I even made it out for my run. The recycling bag is still not ordered, however, and Millie is most definitely in the dog house.

10 comments:

  1. oh dear it all sounded lovely till the last paragraph........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I know, she quite changed the mood!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am sorry, but I did laugh at the last paragraph...it was all sounding so cosy and perfect until then. Those pictures are sweet and I agree that love is definitely shown more in the small things rather than big, grand gestures. Although if my husband did want to do something amazing and grand then obviously I wouldn't complain... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh absolutely, I wouldn't be so ungrateful as to refuse any large romantic gesture!! but I do like to recognise that love is often simpler than that. and messier too with Millie around xx

      Delete
  3. my I didn't know a dog could cause that much stress in a single act! I hope you've obtained the recycling container and you have more opportunities to run. I walk daily and it's the best medicine ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi karen, thanks for visiting and commenting. Millie is, on most days, far more loveable than stressful, but this was a definite exception! I'm enjoying the running, it's still sometimes tricky to get motivated to get out, but always enjoy it when I do!

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie, I always say that the best of the trip is going back home, to our place, our ordinary tasks, your photo is lovely, the light in there, wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Elizabeth, such a kind comment. and yes home is always best!

      Delete
  5. Aah sometimes we appreciate the moments of domestic bliss more when we have other moments of chaos and frustration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a very positive way to look at it Kriss! I can't say I had such a calm perspective in the midst of the chaos, but I have laughed about it since!

      Delete