Tuesday, June 23, 2015

so take the photographs




After my slightly melancholy post last Friday, I ventured over to Instagram, in a bid to feel like I was at least trying to be a bit more social media savvy alongside my blogging. I'm finally seeing what all of the fuss is about! I've also managed to put a button to my instagram account in the sidebar, in case you wanted to find my account (it's sparse at the moment, and mainly Millie). That technological achievement is a substantial one for me, it's the small things! I'm still battling to find a neat way to upload pictures without it taking what feels like a disproportionate amount of steps, but maybe I'm just misjudging it, any tips or hints gratefully received. Similarly I'm on the hunt for a way to automatically link my twitter/instagram/blog posts but I will have to work up to that one I think.

In other news, the plant above was the subject of a happy coincidence at the weekend. Visiting my Dad on Father's Day, we we talking about our garden progress, and I asked him and my stepmum if they could name the above plant. As I've said before, I remembered that the label had referred to popcorn, but had no idea what the actual species was. While we were talking I decided to search back through my phone photos, remembering that I had taken pictures of the plants as we bought them (the joys of blogging!). I could make out the label saying "Popcorn Pink", and then Macrophylla. The first part of the name was unclear, but I took a guess at Hydrangea from what I could see, and sure enough there it was in the book my dad had lifted out to look through. I'm still not sure if the hydrangea popcorn is different to the hydrangea macrophylla, as some places seem to suggest they might be, but the label in my picture of this plant seemed to indicate it was one and the same. As my dad leafed through the pages of the book, a sheet of paper fell out, and there, in my Gran's familiar handwriting was a list of four or five plants with page references, and, top of the list, in neat capitals "Hydrangea Macrophylla". I'm not sure whether to think of it as fate or fluke, but the sight of those pink petals makes me smile just a little more now.

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely happy coincidence x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was one of those little things that stays with you! x

      Delete
  2. Hi - I'm your newest follower and have enjoyed reading some of your posts. Looking forward to following your blog. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, thank you very much and welcome! I will have a look at your blog now :)

      Delete
  3. That's lovely. I often refer back to my own blog for recipes or info on things like yarn type or crochet hook size, as I don't write it down anywhere else. Sometimes blogging can be useful as well as enjoyable. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - it has answered many questions over the past few years being able to scroll back through, it's like a personal archive! thanks for visiting Gillian x

      Delete