Sunday, January 17, 2016

word of the week


The calligraphy did not go so well this week. There were ink spillages, and wobbly nibs, and then I decided to hand-draw the lettering instead of using a calligraphy pen and it went a little (a lot) wrong. I decided to practice the flourishes as I find that I tend to do the same swirl repeated over and over, and they went a bit wrong too. I decided that once I had put ink to paper I was not allowed to start again, and I must try to make the best of whatever I ended up with, an exercise in accepting imperfections. So here it is, although I must admit I shared it to instagram then swiftly deleted it, so perhaps I still have some work to do on the acceptance part!

It has definitely been an unusual week. For all of my talk about planning last week, any semblance of usual routine has gone out of the window a little. Work has started late, and finished late, and there was a day off on Thursday for The Husband and I to make use of an afternoon tea voucher my parents kindly got us at Christmas. It was a real treat, and felt even more special having a midweek trip together. There has been good new and bad news, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, and I wrote an unusual blog post for me, in that it was a bit more serious than I tend to be, It was incredible to have such kind, thoughtful comments back, and made me very grateful for the lovely people that visit here. There was also a mid-week visit from my best friend, who lives quite a way away, and it was great to see her.

I have had some unusually early nights, but also tried to remember last week's word, and have some evenings of gentle productivity, to keep on top of things to some extent. I would say that the weather has been unusual too, but I have memories of being in Australia last January and my mum sending us pictures of Millie playing in thick snow, so maybe a cold, snowy January is starting to become the norm. And whereas Sunday night is usually a quiet evening in spent winding down and getting ready for the week ahead, tonight Grandad and I are off to see a show together, which will be unusual in the best kind of way.


The Reading Residence

8 comments:

  1. It's still a significantly better attempt at calligraphy than I could ever do! It does sound an unusual week for you, definitely putting your planning to the test. I hope you have a lovely evening tonight and this coming week is back to normal for you x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jocelyn, this week was definitely more back to normal! hope you are well x

      Delete
  2. Unusual can be unusually good sometimes! What a lovely mid-week treat for you and your husband. Have a great time at the show with your Granddad! Happy week ahead too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jane it was a great night out, I bought the tickets as a Christmas gift, so I was glad it was a success! x

      Delete
  3. Life goes like that sometimes doesn't it! I hope that next week is just the right amount of unusual to be interesting and usual enough to be normal and comforting enough! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It has definitely been more balanced this week! xx

      Delete
  4. Sometimes no matter low much you want to plan, those plans jtpt moot materialise. Yes it's unusual or you could look at it as being spontaneously different, and that's all positive! PS I think your calligraphy effort is a thousand times better than anything I could do!!
    #wordoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spontaneously different is definitely a good way to look at it. thanks for visiting Tracey! x

      Delete